Uterine Fibroids Treatment in Boston, MA
Treatment options may include the following:
None of the drug therapies for uterine fibroids get rid of them entirely. Some of the drugs work by lowering estrogen and/or progesterone and may shrink fibroids and relieve symptoms. Other methods of treatment, such as using contraceptive pills, have been shown to control excessive menstrual bleeding, but do not affect the size of the fibroid.
The most common surgical procedures for removing fibroids is myomectomy (surgery to remove fibroids) or hysterectomy (surgery to remove the entire uterus).
For women who want to preserve their uterus and have completed child-bearing, there are the following minimally invasive options:
- Sonata treatment
- Acessa procedure. A minimally invasive surgical procedure that utilizes a technology called radiofrequency ablation, and treats each fibroid by applying energy through a small needle array. The surrounding normal uterine tissue is not damaged or otherwise affected. Over time, the treated fibroid tissue shrinks and may become completely reabsorbed by the body. Acessa is performed under general anesthesia, and only two very small (approximately ¼”) abdominal incisions are needed during the procedure – there is no cutting, suturing or removal of the uterus itself
- Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE). A procedure that consists of a catheter threaded through the arteries to deliver small particles that block the blood supply to the uterine body and cause the fibroids to shrink over time.
Leadership in the treatment of fibroids
Brigham/Ob/Gyn Associates is proud to have on staff Dr. James Greenberg. Dr. Greenberg:
- is one of the Boston area’s leading gynecologists and recognized authority in the management and treatment of fibroids.
- specializes in conventional and minimally invasive surgical and non-surgical approaches to treating fibroids and has helped us to achieve excellent outcomes.
- is an acknowledged leader in the field and is involved in educating other physicians in his techniques and procedures.
Medical expertise, experience, and compassionate care
Dr. Greenberg’s skills are continuously being applied and shared throughout the Boston area and beyond. He is:
- an Associate Professor of the Harvard Medical School and works with other physicians in refining treatments and procedures.
- a member of the Gynecologic surgical team at Brigham Women’s and Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospitals and brings his unique skills to patients who come to be treated from throughout the US and beyond.
- recognized by Boston Magazine’s “Top Docs” as one of the area’s top gynecologists for 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.